The symptoms of depression can be physical, emotional and social.
- A continuous low mood or sadness
- Feeling hopeless and helpless
- Low self-esteem
- Feeling guilty
- Feeling irritable and intolerant of others
- Lack of motivation
- Finding it difficult to make decisions
- Lack of enjoyment
- Suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming someone else
- Feeling anxious or worried
- Less interest in sex than usual.
- Slower than usual movement or speech
- Decrease in appetite or weight (sometimes they can increase)
- Unexplained aches and pains
- Changes to the menstrual cycle
- Disturbed sleep (for example, problems going to sleep or waking in the early hours of the morning).
- Unable to work properly
- Less interest in social activities and friends than usual
- Problems at home.