Accessibility options |
West London NHS Trust > Patients and carers > How we help > Getting mental health support

Getting mental health support

What to do if you are worried about your own mental well-being

If you become worried about your mental health and you’re not already receiving support, you should contact your GP (family doctor) to discuss your concerns.
Your GP will understand most mental health conditions and may be able to help you themselves,  or put you in contact with more specialist mental health service like ours.

To search for a GP in your area or to find the contact details for your practice, please see the doctor’s section on
You can also phone NHS Direct on 111 to speak to an adviser or visit the NHS Direct website for advice.

What to do if you are worried about someone else

If you are worried about the mental well-being of someone you know, the most important thing anyone can do is to help him or her get the appropriate assessment and treatment.

Try to talk to them about your concerns then encourage them to speak to their GP or other health worker as a first step to getting help.

Where to get help if you are feeling upset about someone who has become unwell

It can be a distressing experience if someone you care about becomes unwell. Sometimes people might think or behave in ways that you are not used to, and this too can be upsetting.

You may want to get help for yourself too, so that you have the right support and accurate information.

What happens when someone has been referred to us

Once someone has been referred, they will meet with one of our health professionals from a multi-disciplinary team to discuss the reason for their referral.

They will be asked a range of questions to make sure they receive a full assessment of their needs. Where possible, we encourage carers or relatives to contribute to the assessment process, if the person who’s been referred, is happy for them to do so.


Find out what happens after a referral has been made